Wednesday, September 24, 2014


Can you believe it? You can have your own website………………..

        It is simply amazing how technology has become so sophisticated and accessible to all. The “World Wide Web” is readily available to us at anytime, but as the author stated in “Crafting Digital Writing” (Hicks 2013) , ten or fifteen years ago producing a web page was fairly complicated. Only the big named businesses could afford to have these high tech IT guys to create and maintain their websites. Now look at us in 2014 where uploading pictures, videos, and creating a text can now be done with simple strokes of the keyboard and a cable or two to your phone or camera. Look at how far we have come. I will admit that I was very hesitant to venture out into this digital world. I have since realized that in order to reach my children I have to use technology to my advantage.

Many have said that paper and pencil, correspondence through flyers, or even business cards are ancient. There is still a need for those things but, one has to explore what’s out there in order to appeal to our children of tomorrow.  Society has pushed us forward with web-based text and the desire of making themselves known through their websites, it has filled a void.  Embedded media and advertisements are the main elements of web-based texts” (Hicks, 2013, p.30). By utilizing web- based text anyone can reach out and appeal to those that are interested in what they are selling, saying, or making.

        Reference

Hicks, T. (2013). Crafting digital writing: composing text across media and genres.

Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann

Heng,C. (2014)How to Make/ Create Your Own Website. Retrieved September 24, 2014 from www.thesitewizard.com/gettingstarted/startwebsite.shtml

 

3 comments:

  1. It truly is amazing how far technology has come in the past ten years. I remember taking a class in high school on how to set up a web page. It was very complicated, and I really don't even know if I even understood then what I was doing. Now, a decade later, I am able to create a blog with a few clicks of a button.
    I, like you, am sometimes hesitant about exploring new technologies. I am glad the assignments in ED 529 are forcing me to out of my comfort zone. It has opened my eyes to several new ways to incorporate technology into my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Many have said that paper and pencil, correspondence through flyers, or even business cards are ancient. There is still a need for those things but, one has to explore what’s out there in order to appeal to our children of tomorrow. "

    I completely agree with this. We still need these things, but at the same time have to be open and aware of all of the modern ways of communication. Everything can't be digital!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://prezi.com/slaa3xsallku/dont-let-presentations-scare-you/#

    ReplyDelete